Deciding you’re ready to get pregnant is an exciting time in any relationship. According to what you’ve heard, making the decision to get pregnant is the hardest part of the conception process. Once you’re ready, it’ll happen instantly! But, getting pregnant isn’t as easy as it sounds. To improve your chances of getting pregnant within the first few months of trying, try these simple tips:
- Get a Physical Exam – Before trying to conceive, it’s important to rule out any issues that could impact your fertility. See your OBGYN for a pap smear and a physical to make sure you’re healthy.
- Take Prenatal Vitamins – Prenatal vitamins with vitamin B6 can increase your chances of getting pregnant and can keep your baby healthier early on when you do get pregnant.
- Time it Out – There’s around a four day window around ovulation where a woman can get pregnant. While it’s perfectly okay (and suggested) to remain sexually active throughout the month, it’s even more important to make it a priority the days two before and after ovulation. Don’t know when you ovulate? Pick up an ovulation kit at your pharmacy.
- Don’t Overdo your Exercise Routine – Moderate exercise is good for a healthy lifestyle. However, over-exercising can hurt your chances of conceiving because excessive exercise can cause a woman to lose too much body fat, which also decreases the amount of estrogen a woman is able to produce. Low estrogen can decrease chances of ovulation.
- Avoid Added Hormones – Drinking soy and eating mass produced meat can increase estrogen levels to the point where it causes a hormonal imbalance. Try to eliminate soy and focus on eating lean, organic meats while trying to get pregnant.
- Enjoy the Ride – Trying to conceive can be frustrating, especially if it doesn’t happen right away. Don’t let the stress impact the journey because it will only work against you.
Consult Grand Rapids OBGYN at (616) 247-1700 for more information on planning a pregnancy.