Many women are too embarrassed to discuss vaginal dryness, but it’s a very common condition that more than 65 percent of women over the age of 60 have. Though vaginal dryness is often caused by changes in estrogen from menopause, there are other causes including:
Allergy and cold medications
- Naturally low libido
- Chemicals in soaps, hygiene products, and dyes
- Anxiety or other psychological disorders
Treatment Options for Vaginal Dryness
The providers at Grand Rapids OBGYN have treated a lot of women who suffer from vaginal dryness, and they can help you too.
To properly treat chronic vaginal dryness, most doctors recommend one of the following treatments:
- Estrogen Rings. A vaginal estrogen ring is a form of estrogen-replacement therapy in which a ring is inserted into the vagina to release doses of the hormone for up to three months. The ring can be inserted by either you or the provider, depending on what you’re comfortable with.
- Estrogen Cream. Most vaginal creams are inserted directly into the vagina by using an applicator. Creams are a great option if you’re suffering from vaginal dryness, but it’s important to get instruction from your doctor or PA on how to insert it and how much you should be inserting each time.
- Estrogen Tablets. Similar to the other treatment options, estrogen tablets are inserted directly into the vagina using an applicator to help replenish estrogen loss and decrease vaginal dryness. Your provider will let you know how often you should insert tablets and what side effects to expect.
The form of treatment that’s best for you depends greatly on the cause of your vaginal dryness.
Schedule an appointment with our office to find relief from your discomfort.